Pages

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Prayer and Broken Pots

Every day a prayer - one long continuous speaking to God, like the Eucharist prayer. Strange thought, because we think of prayer almost exclusively as supplication - "please give me something or do something for me." But prayer as communication with God - as sending back up to him our response to Creation, which he made us for, and made for us to have tangible knowledge of His love - resonates with me, or perhaps strikes me, like a mallet on crystal bells.

At every moment, God shows His love, the love that gives all, completely open-hearted and handed, with complete awareness of our flaws. "Lord I am not worthy" yet once I have awareness of my flaws, He is there, ready to heal and elevate me.

My daughter told me how the Japanese have a technique for mending broken pottery using gold to join the peices together, because even a broken vessel has beauty.  That seems the best image for us broken humans and our relationship with our Creator - He can make perfect even the most shattered, using our flaws to make us even more lovely than we started.

No comments:

Post a Comment