Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Crooked Lines

"God writes straight with crooked lines."  "If I had known how it would all turn out, I wouldn't have worried so much at the time."  The tallest of mountains flatten out when  you take them one step at a time.

Two years ago, during my oldest daughter's first year of college, I wronte in my journal, "Dear St. Joseph:  I would like a job where I can live my Catholic faith and use the gifts God gave me, with a salary of $65000 a year."  At the time I was in the middle of a six-month job interview/background check, during which two things happened repeatedly: after passing through each advance in the process I became almost overwhelmed by misgivings about the job itself, and something would happen to tell me quite bluntly that God wanted me to go through the process.  I found it a formidable experience.  And then: after passing the last hurdle, I received an email saying "we are sorry to inform you..." and the process ended.

I blurted out to my colleague "I didn't get it." and sat numbly wondering what now?  A quarter hour later she called, "hey, there's an opening for House Manager at X, you should apply, you'd be good at it."  I thought numbly, what the heck, pulled together a quick cover letter and sent it off with my resume.  Two weeks later I got the job, and here I am: Care Manager for retired priests.

I love my work, taking care of a big residential facility and working with priests. The only thing missing is the salary. Oh, well, I'll pick up a lottery ticket on my way home tomorrow.
Thank you St. Joseph.

No comments:

Post a Comment