Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Am I back?

So, hello all.  I may or may not have returned, I've thought that before.  But I can at least give you a quick update.

All is well, but things have changed greatly.  The big, momentous change is that we are officially "empty nesters."  The twins had their first college classes today at UC Riverside, they have matriculated.  Their big sister has begun her last year at UC Santa Barbara and is applying to grad school.  This home, which seemed too crowded a week ago, now seems vast.

And very cluttered.  I've put off moving things to storage while the girls were home, so I could spend as much time as possible with them.  We had a wonderful summer, not doing much of anything, and I am so happy to say they are good company.  I feel very strange now that they are gone.

What are they studying?  One plans to teach high school chemistry, or perhaps physics.  The other loves music and especialy marching band, so she is studying business.  The oldest will graduate this year with a BS in chemisty and wants to research light, or batteries. It helps that Dad teaches high school chemistry and can help with homework!

And me? I still manage a residence for retired priests, but have added the role of care coordinator for all the retired clergy in our Archdiocese. They have kept me busy this past year.  It seems that an elderly person will experience two serious health complications in a year, on average, and we have over 30 "older" retirees.  My very first Monday in my new role, I learned that one of them had been hospitalized the week before with pneumonia.  And the same thing happened on the following Monday. In fact, for two solid months I would start the work week by finding out someone was in the hospital!

I love my job. I don't find it overly demanding, but it does drain me. When I do get a quiet moment, I tend to just sit and contemplate the world around me.  I haven't kept in touch with anyone really, not even family. But I do certainly keep you all in prayer.  And I have the extra bonus of ready access to dozens of priests who are more than happy to offer Mass for my intentions, a privilage I take advantage of often.

So, that is my life at the moment. I do follow everyone's posts, but just never seem to have the motivation to do much of my own.

May you all be blessed, and I am thinking of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment